Before everyone gets too excited… No. I didn’t make this baby today. Not after last night’s Lemon Murder Tart.
I did, however, promise this recipe to Mich and D a million years ago and forgot. As usual.
Here it is though!
Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake – Recipe by Dr Maurine Tsakok (Reproduced with a few nips and tucks)
Taken from The Chinese Women’s Association Cookbook
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Baking Time: 45 minutes
Makes one 23 x 13 x 7-cm (9 x 5 x 3-in) loaf or one 23-cm (8-inch) round cake
Dark muscovado sugar 300g (I often reduce this to 250g.)
All-purpose flour 200g
Bicarbonate of soda 1 teaspoon
Unsalted butter 225g softened
Dark chocolate 100g (The recipe recommends using chocolate of at least 75%, but I used a 70% one and it worked great.)
Eggs 2 large
Pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Coke 250ml (Which means you have some left to sip on!)
1. Preheat oven to 190˚C. Line your loaf tin or round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift sugar, flour and bicarbonate of soda together. (Our sugar couldn’t pass through the sift, so we sifted just the flour and bicarb, and mix well later on. Nobody died.).
3. Melt chocolate over a bain marie or in a microwave – watching very carefully.
4. Add butter and beat at high speed for about 1 minute. Add melted chocolate.
5. Beat eggs with vanilla essence in a bowl. Add eggs to the batter in three batches, blending wel after each addition. Do not overbeat.
6. Bring Coke to a boil. Working carefully, add it to the batter gradually to get a smooth but VERY LIQUID mix.
7. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 170˚C and bake for another 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
8. Remove cake from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Dr Tsakok is coincidentally the relative of my cousin-in-law. She has a husky voice I find as appealing as the cake.
And hey. If the good doctor who ‘likes to use food functionally to enhance its health benefits’ makes a Coke Cake, I say EAT IT.
All images taken from The Chinese Women’s Association Cookbook